Dr. Schaefer truly enjoys the art and science of dentistry. He is passionate about creating smiles that improve health and function and look both beautiful and natural. His goal is to enhance each patient’s comfort and confidence when they smile. Dr. Schaefer works with extremely talented laboratory technicians that create lifelike, artistic restorations to complement his work. It is imperative for success to have direct lines of communication between the dentist, technicians, and patient. He makes a special effort to listen to each patient’s questions and goals for their smile. He takes pride in delivering both excellent service and results.
Dr. David Schaefer was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky where he currently resides with his wife, Suzanne, and their three children. He graduated from the St. Xavier High School in 1984, completed undergraduate studies at the University of Louisville, and graduated from the University of Louisville School of Dentistry in 1991. Following graduation, Dr. Schaefer was invited to participate in the Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency at the University of Louisville. This year-long program focused extensively on complex, advanced dentistry related to proper evaluation, sequencing, and delivery of care. During this same year, he began part-time private practice with his father, Dr. John Schaefer, Sr. Then, in 1992, Dr. Schaefer entered full-time private practice by concentrating on complete health and aesthetics.
Since his graduation in 1991, Dr. Schaefer has continuously stayed on the leading edge of education in dentistry; Dr. Schaefer maintains an active schedule in the community as well.
2010 – Dr. Schaefer received his accredited status from the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. This challenging accreditation process included: a written exam, required continuing education courses, written and photographic documentation of five specific clinical case types – judged by five examiners – and completion of an oral exam related to treatment planning and discussion of the five clinical cases.
Routinely completes numerous hours of advanced post-graduate education per year to update his knowledge of materials, techniques, and functional aesthetic dentistry.
- 1999 – Earned the Prestigious Fellowship Award from the Academy of General Dentistry.
- 1999 – Elected to St. Xavier High School Athletic Hall of Fame.
- 2002- Graduate of the highly respected Dawson Academy in St. Petersburg, FL. The Dawson Center focuses on the integration of optimal health and function in conjunction with the creation of natural, beautiful aesthetic dentistry.
- 2006 – Completed lecture series with Dr. Frank Spear and the Seattle Institute for Advanced Dental Education. Conferences focus on complex, advanced cases and delivery of healthy, aesthetic results.
- Active at the parish of St. Margaret Mary.
- Athletic coach for each of his children.
- Consulting dentist for the Forum at Brookside, a long-term healthcare facility, providing diagnostic care and therapy as needed.
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Kentucky Academy of General Dentistry for 9 years and acted as President of the Kentucky Academy of General Dentistry from 1999-2001.
- Served on Executive Board for the Kentucky Chapter of the JDRF International for the Kentuckian Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation – an organization centered around finding a cure for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Active participant in the Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry’s “Give-Back-A-Smile” program, which provides dental care to women that have been affected by senseless domestic violence and abuse.
- Winter 2006 – published an article in the prestigious Journal of Cosmetic Dentistry summarizing a recent Give-Back-A-Smile case.
- 2009 – St. Raphael Catholic School Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Summer 2010 – Published a summary of another Give-Back-A-Smile case in the Journal of Cosmetic Dentistry.
Maintains an active role in these professional organizations:
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- Kentucky Dental Association (KDA)
- Louisville Dental Society (LDS)
- Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
- Kentucky Academy of General Dentistry (KYAGD)
- Dawson Alumni Association
- American Equilibration Society
- Dr. Schaefer is one of only 280 dentists accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (www.AACD.com) in the world and one of only two practicing dentists in the Louisville area.
- Accreditation serves as the Gold Standard for Excellence in cosmetic dentistry. Dr. Schaefer uses his expertise in Advanced Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry to provide this individualized excellent care to each and every patient.
- This challenging three-year accreditation process included: a written exam, required continuing education courses, written and photographic documentation of five specific clinical case types – judged by five examiners – and completion of an oral exam related to treatment planning and discussion of the five clinical cases.
“We are very proud of this achievement as it is an accomplishment that required contributions by many people. Our office team was integral in providing excellent care and communication of the many aspects of complex dentistry — from initial phone contact to periodontal therapy to fabrication of provisionals. Various specialists provided excellence in endodontics, crown lengthening, implant placement, extractions, tissue grafting, and orthodontics. Success in this endeavor is not possible without extremely talented ceramists to create lifelike, natural, and functional restorations. And finally, this level of care required a commitment of time and resources by our patients which resulted in a win/win for all involved.” Dr. David Schaefer