Who We Are
Welcome to our practice. We provide comprehensive aesthetic general dentistry designed to give you radiant, lasting results. The vision of our team is to provide the highest quality dental care available by continually updating our skills and knowledge. You, the patient, are our most valuable asset. We take care of you and your dental needs with compassion, respect, professionalism and efficiency.
Dr. Schaefer and our office staff are committed to providing each patient with the best dental care available. We constantly update our professional knowledge and skills, and use only proven materials, equipment, techniques, systems, and sterilization procedures. All of our team members — from our office staff to our hygienists and clinical assistants — are highly trained in the delivery of superior dental care. Sincere courtesy, empathy and professionalism make your visit to our dental office a refreshing surprise.
Sometimes general dentistry alone cannot create complete health and beauty, and experienced specialists must be called upon for assistance. Dr. Schaefer aggressively searched for the best specialists in the area to treat your dental needs — and he found them. If you do require the care of a specialist, you can relax in knowing that you will experience the same high standard of care practiced in our Louisville dental office.
We invite you to browse through our web site and learn more about us. Please contact us with any questions or to schedule your first visit.
Our Key to Success
The vision of our team is to provide each patient with the highest quality dental care available by continually updating our skills and knowledge. Through our compassion, professionalism, and efficiency, we have the highest regard for our patient’s well being, for they are our greatest asset.
Dr. David Schaefer
Dr. Schaefer truly enjoys the art and science of dentistry. He is passionate about creating smiles that improve health and function and look both beautiful and natural. His goal is to enhance each patient’s comfort and confidence when they smile. Dr. Schaefer works with extremely talented laboratory technicians that create lifelike, artistic restorations to complement his work. It is imperative for success to have direct lines of communication between the dentist, technicians, and patient. He makes a special effort to listen to each patient’s questions and goals for their smile. He takes pride in delivering both excellent service and results.
Dr. David Schaefer was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky where he currently resides with his wife, Suzanne, and their three children. He graduated from the St. Xavier High School in 1984, completed undergraduate studies at the University of Louisville, and graduated from the University of Louisville School of Dentistry in 1991. Following graduation, Dr. Schaefer was invited to participate in the Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency at the University of Louisville. This year-long program focused extensively on complex, advanced dentistry related to proper evaluation, sequencing, and delivery of care. During this same year, he began part-time private practice with his father, Dr. John Schaefer, Sr. Then, in 1992, Dr. Schaefer entered full-time private practice by concentrating on complete health and aesthetics.
Since his graduation in 1991, Dr. Schaefer has continuously stayed on the leading edge of education in dentistry; Dr. Schaefer maintains an active schedule in the community as well.
2010 - Dr. Schaefer received his accredited status from the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. This challenging accreditation process included: a written exam, required continuing education courses, written and photographic documentation of five specific clinical case types – judged by five examiners – and completion of an oral exam related to treatment planning and discussion of the five clinical cases.
Routinely completes numerous hours of advanced post-graduate education per year to update his knowledge of materials, techniques, and functional aesthetic dentistry.
- 1999 - Earned the Prestigious Fellowship Award from the Academy of General Dentistry.
- 1999 - Elected to St. Xavier High School Athletic Hall of Fame.
- 2002- Graduate of the highly respected Dawson Academy in St. Petersburg, FL. The Dawson Center focuses on the integration of optimal health and function in conjunction with the creation of natural, beautiful aesthetic dentistry.
- 2006 - Completed lecture series with Dr. Frank Spear and the Seattle Institute for Advanced Dental Education. Conferences focus on complex, advanced cases and delivery of healthy, aesthetic results.
- Active at the parish of St. Margaret Mary.
- Athletic coach for each of his children.
- Consulting dentist for the Forum at Brookside, a long-term healthcare facility, providing diagnostic care and therapy as needed.
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Kentucky Academy of General Dentistry for 9 years and acted as President of the Kentucky Academy of General Dentistry from 1999-2001.
- Served on Executive Board for the Kentucky Chapter of the JDRF International for the Kentuckian Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation – an organization centered around finding a cure for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Active participant in the Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry’s “Give-Back-A-Smile” program, which provides dental care to women that have been affected by senseless domestic violence and abuse.
- Winter 2006 - published an article in the prestigious Journal of Cosmetic Dentistry summarizing a recent Give-Back-A-Smile case.
- 2009 - St. Raphael Catholic School Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Summer 2010 - Published a summary of another Give-Back-A-Smile case in the Journal of Cosmetic Dentistry.
Maintains an active role in these professional organizations:
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- Kentucky Dental Association (KDA)
- Louisville Dental Society (LDS)
- Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
- Kentucky Academy of General Dentistry (KYAGD)
- Dawson Alumni Association
- American Equilibration Society
- Dr. Schaefer is one of only 280 dentists accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (www.AACD.com) in the world and one of only two practicing dentists in the Louisville area.
- Accreditation serves as the Gold Standard for Excellence in cosmetic dentistry. Dr. Schaefer uses his expertise in Advanced Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry to provide this individualized excellent care to each and every patient.
- This challenging three-year accreditation process included: a written exam, required continuing education courses, written and photographic documentation of five specific clinical case types - judged by five examiners - and completion of an oral exam related to treatment planning and discussion of the five clinical cases.
"We are very proud of this achievement as it is an accomplishment that required contributions by many people. Our office team was integral in providing excellent care and communication of the many aspects of complex dentistry -- from initial phone contact to periodontal therapy to fabrication of provisionals. Various specialists provided excellence in endodontics, crown lengthening, implant placement, extractions, tissue grafting, and orthodontics. Success in this endeavor is not possible without extremely talented ceramists to create lifelike, natural, and functional restorations. And finally, this level of care required a commitment of time and resources by our patients which resulted in a win/win for all involved." Dr. David Schaefer
Connie, Office Manager
As Office Manager, Connie has been the heart of Drs. John and David’s practice for over 22 years. She strives to make sure every patient is warmly welcomed and treated like family. She truly enjoys all the patients she has met over the years. If you have questions about your insurance or any aspect of your visit, Connie is your point woman. She lives in Louisville and is the proud mother of a son and a daughter. She enjoys doing activities with her daughter, Brittany and traveling to North Carolina to visit her son, Cody and daughter-in-law, Carolyn. She enjoys hiking, biking and trip to the beach.
Favorite saying is: “What goes around, comes around.”
Sheree, Patient Care Coordinator
Sheree is our Patient Care Coordinator and joined the team in 2013. She moved here 2 years ago and is enjoying Louisville and all it has to offer. “I love working in an office where patients are seen as family.” In her roll she will be happy to assist you with scheduling convenient appointments or help you with questions you may have about your dental care. She is also our Social Media coordinator, so make sure to say hi on Facebook! When not in the office you will find her spending time with her husband, Jeff, 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters, who are the light of her life. She enjoys gardening and having glue gun in hand for craft projects.
Favorite saying is: “Say what you mean and mean what you say.”
Suzanne, Marketing/Design Specialist
Suzanne has been with the practice for 25 years. She is happily married to Dr. David and is our marketing/design specialist. She is a huge help with office promotion in the community and is involved in marketing the Schaefer Advanced Dentistry brand. She enjoys the outdoors, exercise and fitness and walking with her husband and dog.
Dawn, Expanded Duty Dental Assistant
Dawn has been with Drs. John and David for a total of 24 years. She is our lead expanded duties dental assistant. Patient care is her top priority. She says, “I love my job and I love caring for, helping and educating our patients, and treating them like family.” She lives in Sheperdsville with her husband of 28 years, Donny. They have 2 grown children. Her daughter is an event planner and her son is a sailor in the Navy. They could not be prouder! She enjoys the outdoor life, spending quality time with her family and friends at their cabin at the lake-where they swim, boat and take long walks with their dogs, Dooney and Dixie.
Favorite saying is: “You need to say it-what if tomorrow never comes….”
Kaneisha, Expanded Duty Dental Assistant
Kaneisha is our newest team member. She has been an expanded function assistant for 3 years and loves the dental field. Her favorite part of her job is the sense of a family environment and the support everyone has for each other. Also, meeting new faces and building relationships with many patients. She lives in Jeffersontown with her fiancé, Alex. For fun she loves spending time with family and her dogs, Mimi and Rocko, traveling and any activity that involves the outdoors.
Favorite saying is: “You only live once.”
Missi, Registered Dental Hygienist
Missi started as a dental assistant nearly 20 years ago. She has worked as a hygienist with Schaefer Advanced Dentistry for 13 years. Her favorite part of hygiene is building relationships with our patients and helping them achieve and maintain excellent oral health. She is leading the team in the newest laser treatment techniques. She lives in Louisville with her husband, Josh and their 2 children , Laiken and Lane. In her free time, she enjoys her children’s sporting events, spending time with friends, working out and eating good food.
Favorite saying is: “A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear.”
Julie, Registered Dental Hygienist
Julie is our dental hygienist and has been with Dr. Schaefer for 11 years. She lives in Louisville with her husband, Mark, and has two grown daughters. Julie was a sales representative for Block Drug Pharmaceuticals for 6 years but missed the personal interaction with patients and returned to clinical practice in 2000. When asked what her favorite part of being a hygienist is she states, “I love every aspect of hygiene. I especially love educating my patients about oral health and knowing that I am helping people and providing a service that is important to their overall health.” In her spare time, Julie enjoys spending time with family, friends and T.J. Maxx!
Favorite saying is: “Accept what is, let go of what was, have faith in what will be.”